Friday, June 29, 2007

Swim lessons

We had our first swim "lesson" today, and it was an interesting experience. We headed to the local community center for the class, which consisted of about 15 moms and babies. The pool was HUGE....2 olympic sized indoor pools as well as a separate section for kids, and another area for water aerobics.

This would be Colby's first pool experience, so I wanted him to enjoy it. However, my internal mommy alarm went off when I saw the instructor. She looked to be about 16....and not very professional....meaning, she might have been in a gang. I know, I'm being very judgemental. But that's ok- I'm getting old and that's what old people do. The most alarming thing about her was that she had large safety pins through each ear. No, not earrings that looked like safety pins, but actual tetanus carrying safety pins. I'm thinking she's not the sharpest tool in the shed, so I file my observations in a safe place as the class begins.

First, we ease the babies into the water. We are sitting in the shallow part of the pool, and Colby is getting used to the idea of it all. All the babies look a little surprised and/or cold, but they are doing well. Within 2 minutes of sitting in the water, the instructor says this:

"Ok, I want you to do something that the babies don't really like. I want you to lay them back in the water until they get water in their ears. It's important when they get older for them to know that it's ok to get water in their ears, so we like to start them as babies. They will probably get upset when you do this."

Ummmm....excuse me?? You want me to dunk my baby? Who has never been in a pool? To get water in his ears? Because I'm sure he won't get his ears wet in the next 45 minutes, while we are splashing around in the water. I just kind of sat there and looked at her, and then chose to ignore everything she said. Surprisingly, most of the moms did the exact same thing and just continued to ease their babies into the water. The lady next to me actually did dunk her 8 month old little girl until she cried, and I felt bad for both of them.

So, for the next 45 minutes, Colby and I continued to ignore most of the requests of this instructor and played in the water. Colby was supposed to hum to himself while I eased his head under the water, so that he could blow bubbles out of his nose....but something told me he would take a gigantic gulp of pool water so we skipped that. (he had already taken several large gulps at this point)

About halfway into the class, Colby discovered something very cool. The echo. The very big and LOUD echo. He spent the next 25 minutes squealing at the TOP OF HIS LUNGS. Somehow, once again, he discovered how to become the center of attention. Everyone was looking at him! Everyone was laughing! Oh, he knew this was good. So he kept going. My ears are still ringing and we've been home for an hour.

Something tells me this baby is going to give me a run for my money in every way possible. Not only is he becoming a professional wrestler, he demands and attracts attention, and he'll do anything for a laugh. Where did he come from? Lee and I were never like that. I was afraid of anyone looking at me when I was little. I'm feeling the gray hairs already.

No comments: