Wednesday, June 6, 2007

I was that mom

In case I've given anyone the impression that I'm the perfect mom...*snort*....I need to confess. Today, I was that mom. The mom that other mothers look at and think to themselves "Please control your child, and wipe his face while you're at it!!". It all started at the allergists office. We were sitting in the waiting room, and Colby was a little restless. It was an hour past nap time, and they were an hour late calling us back, so it wasn't his fault that he was a little restless. I tried my hardest to entertain him- he played with my necklace, tugged my hair, sucked on my watch, and managed to toss every toy I handed him onto the floor. Unable to entertain him on my lap any longer, I gave up and put him on the floor. I was watching him closely, but before I could blink, he crawled at lightening speed over to a nearby lady and pulled her keys out of her purse. He preceded to wreak havoc on everything in the waiting room, leaving a drool trail behind him. Feeling like we needed a change of scenery (and I needed a little relief) I decided to take him out to the lobby bathroom. Now, it's a very tricky thing to use the bathroom with a large baby who cannot stand up. It takes great strength, amazing balance, coordination and agility. Elastic pants are always a bonus, but thankfully I gave those up about 10 months ago. Anyway, sorry if this is tmi, but the pants today were a bit trickier. Not just one button, but some other complicated contraption. I could not for the life of me do this one handed, with Colby in my right arm, bicep quivering. I stood there puzzled, not knowing what to do. I surveyed the bathroom floor. Let me just clarify.....NEVER have I put him on the bathroom floor, but today was no ordinary day. I was tired, short on patience, and I had to pee. So, after dusting it off quickly with a wad of toilet paper, I sat him on the floor. Phew! I must have sneezed or closed my eyes or something, because the next thing I knew, Colby was gone. THE HORROR!!! He had crawled under the stall faster than you can say gonorrhea. I could hear delightful squeals on the other side of the stall... and there I was....in mid-stream....unable to do anything about it. (I know, I know- TMI!!) That minute felt like an hour and I was mortified at the thought of someone walking in the bathroom, seeing my drooling baby frolicking in the communicable diseases. Thankfully, no one came in....the child abuse hotline was not called.

The next hour or so was a lot like the first....but the skin test went very well. They pricked his skin with 9 different allergens to see how his body and skin would react. They warned me that he would be upset and that it would hurt, so I was tightly holding him when she came with the first test. And what happened? He actually laughed each time he was pricked. Yes, I was that mom with the baby who laughed during skin testing- something they said has NEVER happened. Now at least that's something I can be proud of! (Oh, and most importantly- he tested negative to everything! Hooray!)

1 comment:

Emily said...

OK, this one had me cracking up!!! That is just hysterical!! They need to make those stall doors come all the way to the ground! :)