Sunday, June 10, 2007

A little about me...

I know this blog is mainly about Colby, but there's something I'd like to share about myself. Something I'm excited about, and something most of you don't know about me. (well, actually, many of you do know this....but I'm trying to be dramatic) I have always had big dreams in life.....aspired to accomplish great things. Some of those dreams were a bit odd or unrealistic, but hey, there's nothing wrong with that. It may surprise you, but one of my greatest dreams in life was to be in the circus. Not just anyone in the circus.....I didn't want to ride a tiger, shoot out from a cannon, or dress up in feathers. And I definitely didn't want to be anywhere near the elephants. No,no... I had bigger aspirations. I wanted to be an acrobat. I had visions of myself....all 5'10 of me....swinging from the ceiling with the other little people. Crowds would travel far and wide to see the Amazon acrobat. Well, truth be told, when I was having these visions I wasn't quite 5'10....maybe 5'6 or something. Anyway, thankfully, God blessed me with a friend who shared my unique passion. Her name was Mindy (AKA Aunt Mindy) and we are still very close friends. When we were in 8th grade, we went to the circus together...and that's where it all began. We spent many a Friday and Saturday night practicing for our big debut....I guess we thought maybe the circus would come to town and hold try-outs? We did a lot of 2 person partner stunts, and they often didn't turn out well. I dug up this old photo as proof....I'm not sure what's happening here.

That's me on the bottom, and Mindy on her way to slamming into the wall. I have no idea who took the picture.....maybe my mom? Did we invite her in for a show? Did we ask her to take photos for some reason? Were we planning on doing something with these pictures? Was Mindy hurt? I don't have any answers....just this picture as proof of our passion and talents.

Anyway, this brings me to the very exciting news. Lee and I celebrated our 2 year anniversary last week....and guess what Lee bought me? Ladies and Gentleman.....uuhh, I mean, Ladies....I and all 5'10 of myself am officially enrolled in trapeze school. Yes, I will be going to the official New York Trapeze School in just 2 short weeks for my first class (they have a branch in Baltimore, MD). I could not have been more shocked and surprised by this gift, and by the fact that Lee has been listening to me all this time....not just nodding his head to get me to stop talking. I imagine I will be amongst other confused and lost souls either going through a mid-life crisis, newly divorced, or having too much time on their hands. But as for me....I have a purpose. I'm going to be someone....in the circus. I just know it. Dream big, people. Dream big.

Update: Mindy read this entry and sent me an e-mail. She remembers the stunt, and apparently it was set to music. Oh, I SO wish we had camcorders back then, but the Kodak Disc was as good as it got. Here's something else she said....."Another fun game at the time was sticking a finger in the other person's mouth, and then trying to remove it before teeth came chomping down." Yes, God really did bless me with an equally weird friend...although we've both turned out pretty normal. You can't make this stuff up.

1 comment:

Emily said...

No, you can't make that up!! I was literally LOL, reading this!

And I am also requesting video or AT LEAST pictures of you at trapeze school.