Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Pregnancy fitness

**I'm writing this to make myself accountable, not for entertainment purposes...feel free to skip!**

When I was pregnant with Colby, I had all the time in the world to work out and stay in shape. Plus, I felt great the entire first trimester. It's hard for me to believe now, but I worked out about an hour a day for the entire pregnancy. I ran 5 miles a day up until 6 months, and then took spinning classes until my knees started hitting my stomach. After that, I worked out on cardio machines and lifted free weights. Even with all of that, I still managed to gain 34 pounds.

I am beginning to worry what's going to happen to me this pregnancy. I am definitely not in shape the way I would like to be, and if I don't do something now, it could get ugly. I haven't felt great the first trimester, so it has been really easy to make excuses not to exercise. I am still doing something about 3 or 4 days a week, but to me, that's just not enough. I find excuses even when I'm feeling ok, and I need to stop myself now, before it's too late. I'm also snacking more than I should, especially at night with Lee. (Lee is a freak of nature and eats peanut butter on graham crackers every night at 10pm to avoid losing weight)

Therefore, I'm going to start keeping track of my fitness/nutrition goals starting tomorrow, at 14 weeks. (Thanks for the idea, Kristina) Which gives me one more day of procrastination- yahoo! I will make a goal each month and try to stick to it. My goal for February will be to work out 6 days a week for at least 45 minutes. This will mean some 6AM mornings on the treadmill, but I think I can do it.
In addition, I'm going to try not to snack after dinner...I will allow myself fruit or something if I'm hungry, but I'll try to make it healthy.

I feel more motivated already. As long as Lee doesn't come home with pop tarts or some other irresistable junk food, I should be ok.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I really, really should have skipped this post *sigh*

Kristina Young said...

yeah, thanks kristina. kristina has already bailed on working out and is terrified at the expansion that's occurring as we speak. seriously, i gained like half a pound in the time it took to write this comment.