Monday, August 6, 2007

Turning one has not been fun

Since Colby has turned one, which was only a few weeks ago, he has contracted one funky virus after another.

First, it was the stomach flu. Which I posted about.
Next, he started throwing up randomly a few days later.
The next week, he had a high fever, bad cold, cough, and an ear ache.

And NOW.....

*********drum roll***********


He has Herpangina. What is it?
It's a form of Hand, Foot and Mouth disease, where they get sores all over their lips, tongue and mouth, and run a high fever. This is by far the worst thing we've ever been through. The throwing up was scary, especially for me, but this was more serious because he's in so much pain he went almost a day without eating or drinking. We couldn't get anything to cross his lips yesterday until about 4pm, when I practically gagged him with a Popsicle while distracting him with a Baby Einstein video. He is MISERABLE. The good news is that it's not serious (as long as you can get them to eat and drink) and he's had a few sips today.

All of these funky viruses correspond suspiciously with the gyms and gym daycare centers I have been trying out. I've only been 3 times, but it has only been in the past 3 weeks, and always a few days before he gets sick. I have yet to find one that I like....and have now decided we aren't going anywhere near another one. If it's this bad now, I can't imagine what it would be like in the winter. I do realize he could pick these things up anywhere, but the timing is just too ironic. Plus, most of those places are pretty gross, even in the nicest gyms. Just too many kids and too many germs. One place actually had 90 kids between the hours of 10 and 11!!

So, Lee and I have decided to look for someone to come to our house a few days a week so that I can go to the gym. I have not joined a gym since Colby was born, and I really miss it. I was hoping the gym daycare center would be a great solution, but obviously, it isn't!

Now, as far as finding that person....well, that will be the hard part. We've never even left him with a babysitter, other than family, so this will be a challenge. In theory, the whole idea sounds great, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to trust a total stranger. We'll see!

1 comment:

Emily said...

OMG!! Poor Colby!! We are members of the Y and the whole daycare thing is gross, I agree. I won't leave E in there either (not to mention the fact that he would scream his head off if I tried).

BTW, so sorry I haven't responded to your email! We've been out of town and are just getting back into the swing of things.