Thursday, May 20, 2010

Update (from previous post)

This is just so typical. We woke Miller up early from her nap and made the 35 minute drive to the swim school only to find out someone had taken the spot we wanted earlier that day. So it was all for nothing. There was no swim lesson for us at 4:30, and there was no way Colby was getting in the pool even though he was standing there in his swimsuit ready to go. As I was talking to the (slightly rude and unapologetic) front desk people about other classes available, Colby ran around the place like a wild animal and Miller scribbled on all their brochures with one of the 100 pens they had out. I am sure other mothers were giving me dirty looks and wondering why my kids were acting like they just got out of jail. It was not a pleasant experience. At all. If I didn't want this so badly for Colby, I would have given them a piece of my mind and stormed out of there. Instead, I signed him up for a 4:00 Friday class and an 8:00 AM Sunday class.

The good news is that in four weeks, the "Summer session" begins and we will have a choice of better class times. However, there is a catch. All I have to do is show up at 5:30 AM on Monday (35 minutes away) and get in line outside the building to put my name on a list at 6AM. Then I have to show back up at 9AM and wait in a room (with hundreds of other people) as they read names one by one off of this list for your turn to pick a class. Apparently people "camp out" just to be first on this 6am list. I imagine the 9am wait will be a long one unless I show up at 5AM to be first in line for the 6AM sign up.

Again, this is just so typical of living in this area. I'm imagining this will not be a pleasant experience either, especially since I'll have 3 hours to kill (in a small town with nothing to do) in between the 6am sign up and the 9am waiting period.

Despite all of this, I am still very happy and excited to give Colby this opportunity. Lee and some of my friends are starting to think it's a bit crazy, but I am determined to make it work. Hmmm...maybe the willful streak Colby inherited isn't all Lee's fault.

No comments: