Tuesday, May 8, 2007

We did it

Well, this morning was a big morning for us. Colby got blood drawn for the "RAST" test to test for food allergies. This was after my first attempt to take him, in which I walked in, got cold feet after talking to the mean front desk lady, and walked right back out. This time, I did research and found a child-friendly place (with a nicer lady in the front) and they were really, really great. Colby only cried a couple of minutes, and I cried less than last time. (I'm referring to the time I walked in and walked out) Lee held Colby in his lap and we both held his arm down while they drew the blood- thank goodness they got it right the first time. In a couple of days, we should have the result of the blood test, and the next step is to do the skin prick tests for each food (next month). We are really hoping he has outgrown his intolerance or allergy (we aren't even sure it was a true allergy). The problem with these tests is that they are not accurate, and the doctors will tell you that- the blood tests tend to give false positives, and the skin tests give false negatives. But, in combination, they can give you an idea of what is wrong. We are actually supposed to go back for one more tube of blood to be taken because they didn't want to do it all at once, but the foods I'm worried about were tested this time. (milk, soy, dairy, eggs, casein) The other foods are things like apples and bananas, and the allergist is insisting he be tested for those, but I'm sure they aren't a problem because he eats them often. I called twice to ask that Colby only be tested for a few things, but he won't budge on that. I guess he's doing his job...he has quite a reputation around here and it took 5 months to get an appointment. That's always a good sign, right? So....we probably need to bring Colby back for one more prick just so I don't make the doctor mad, because he will see right though my little plan if I don't. I would love it if Colby could have some regular cake on his birthday. That's the goal I have in sight. (although daddy says no treats....daddy needs to loosen up a bit)

No comments: