Wednesday, June 29, 2011

2 little fish

We had day 7 of Miller's "8 day blitz" at her swim school, and WOW. I am absolutely amazed at what I am seeing. Miller went from a little girl who did not want her face wet, to a girl who is swan diving off the side of the pool and swimming under water. If I weren't seeing it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it.

After lessons today, we were invited to swim at the house next door to us. Miller and Colby swam for 2 hours straight, and Miller practiced all of her new skills. She loved swimming to me from the steps and jumping off the side of the pool.

We did have a little....or big...scare at one point. My back was turned to Miller and I was talking to Colby, and I walked towards the other end of the pool. I did not know that while I was walking away, Miller had jumped off the stairs and was trying to swim towards me. When I finally turned around, she was floating in the middle of the pool trying to get to me. I'm not sure how long she had been there, but seeing as how she was in the middle of the pool, she had been swimming for a while. I picked her up as fast as I could, and she sputtered, coughed, and then cried hysterically. She cried for a few minutes and wanted to be held, but then she was ready to get back in. I am trying to teach her to make sure mom or dad is "ready" before she jumps in. I think we need to have a code word or something.

Colby is taking the lessons as well, and he's working on perfecting his freestyle and breathing. He's a great swimmer and loves the water. It's hard to believe that just two summers ago, he was scared of the water and didn't want to get off the steps. Wow, what a difference 2 years makes.

This is going to be one crazy summer at the pool. It used to be manageable, but now with Miller's newfound love of the deeper water and lack of fear, it's going to be full time lifeguard duty for me.

As I was putting Colby to bed tonight, I said "Can you believe Miller is jumping off the side and swimming?" and he said with a big smile on his face "It is SO cool. I can't believe how proud I am." That sentence makes me prouder than just about anything.

No comments: