Sunday, October 26, 2008

Just don't look in his ears....

It's been another crazy week. It's just a month or so into the new school year, and Colby is on his second cold. He also has some sort of virus that comes with a high fever.

On Friday afternoon, I took him to the doctor to get checked out because he woke up crying with his hand over his ear. I asked him if his ear hurt, but he didn't answer. I tried to cheer him up with a treat, but he didn't want anything. (highly unusual) As we got downstairs, he said "ear hurt", and I quickly called the doctor's office to beg them to take us (it was 4:45 and they close at 5) He continued to cry unconsolably as I called Lee and told him what was going on.

Wouldn't you know it, as soon as we got there, Colby stopped crying and was happily playing in the waiting room. I knew about 15 minutes into it that Colby was fine. What I learned, though, is probably a valuable lesson. I think Colby was crying so hard because he was reacting to me being stressed out. He was so upset because he was listening to me talk about him, and I'm sure I seemed worried. The whole "ear hurt" comment was just Colby repeating what I had said to him a few minutes earlier.

Even though I knew he was fine, I decided we should stay and get checked out. We had an hour wait, and we were back in the little room, so I was showing Colby all of the doctors "tools". I showed him the ear thingy that she would use to look in his ears, and we practiced being still. I told him over and over that it wouldn't hurt. And Colby would say "No make Colby cry!" and I'd say "That's right, it won't make Colby cry". Over and over.

It didn't help. As the doctor tried to look in his ears (I was holding him tightly on my lap), he was screaming bloody murder and thrashing his body around, kicking his legs and moving his head from side to side. Eventually, we had to lay him down on the table and call in a 3rd person so that we could pin his arms, legs, and head down. It did not go over very well. The boy is strong, and he sure does have a set of lungs on him. Poor thing was so traumatized after that. His daddy saved the day and took him out for pizza while I came home and had a much needed glass of wine!

On a happier note, Miller had her first sit in the jumparoo today. She is much younger than Colby was, but she is so tall that her feet hit the ground (and her knees even bend!) She is too young to jump, but she enjoys sitting in it and looking at all the colors and toys.


I wonder if she'll be a jumping machine like her big brother. Colby just couldn't get enough of it. Just for fun, here's a vintage video of Colby jumping in his jumparoo at 8 months old.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Oh my goodness! Your kids are getting so big!! Little Miller is adorable and it will be interesting to see if she is a a jumper like her big bro (That video cracks me up!).

Take care!