Monday, June 2, 2008

Silly Me

I've always thought that my biggest concern with Colby in the future (if I'm lucky) is that he'll follow in his dad's footsteps and venture into extreme sports. (mountain climbing, rock climbing, month long summit expeditions, etc...Lee's crazy, y'all)

I still think that's a valid concern, but I've been blind as to what I should *really* be worrying about.

Colby is going to be in a rock band.

It's pretty much inevitable. Everyone I know...from his preschool teachers, to his music teacher, to friends and family...has remarked about how much Colby loves music. He FEELS the music, and it's pretty obvious when you see him anywhere music is playing. His music teacher even told me (sorry, I know this is obnoxious coming from any mother about her own child, but don't shoot the messenger) that she thinks he is musically gifted. She has been teaching 3 music together classes a day for 10 years, and she told me that she doesn't say that to very many parents. She suggested I enroll him into a keyboard class when he turns 3. To be honest, I don't think he's necessarily talented....I just think he loves music.

Last night on the way home from dinner, we stopped by a local outdoor concert to see who was playing. We thought we'd be there maybe 5 minutes (with Colby running up on stage and forcing us to leave) but he was absolutely enthralled with the music. He stood at the edge of the stage the entire time and just listened and danced. To add to the excitement, a little boy let Colby play with his guitar, and Colby spent the entire time trying to mimic the musicians. He was in heaven, and it was pretty funny to watch him up there, oblivious to all the onlookers.



The guitar was a bit cumbersome, but he tried his hardest to make it work.


I guess there's always the chance that Colby could end up a rock climbing guitar player....please check on me in 15 years years and make sure I'm ok.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having birthed a rock band member myself, my advice to you is DO NOT LET COLBY PLAY THE DRUMS!!!! If you do, practice will always be at your house!!!
Actually, I mostly found the "basement band" thing pretty cool. Even if it was MY basement. My rock star graduated from college several weeks ago and will become a father in mid-July. He and Andrea have moved home and are now living in the "baby basement!" I gues when he told me his music was all about "sharing the love"---he wasn't kiddin'!!!