Thursday, December 20, 2007

Caught!

While Lee was cooking dinner tonight, and I was....well...probably on the computer, Colby made his way into the pantry. After about 30 seconds of silence and hearing Lee ask "where's Colby?" I ran into the kitchen and this is what I found.



In order to get to this point, Colby had to actually grab the entire container of suckers from a shelf (one of the higher shelves!) and place it on the floor (we did not hear a crash). Next, he managed to get the lid off. And lastly, he actually unwrapped it...even he looks surprised. Yes, it was toddler victory at it's finest. We actually let him have a few licks before taking it away, and he recovered pretty quickly.

A month or so ago I posted about how wonderful everything was going, and I'm glad I posted it then because things are getting a little more challenging! Colby has learned that screaming at the top of his lungs in a restaurant will get him a lot of attention. If we tell him "no", he does it anyway and seems even more pleased. So, we've decided to try and ignore it and just hope that he only does it once or twice. However, nothing seems to bother people more than a screaming toddler and parents who seem totally and completely oblivious. We took Colby to our favorite sushi restaurant last night, and after about 15 high pitched shrill screams in a row, we had to leave right after our food was delivered. We were getting the "Can't you control your child?" looks. Well, actually, um...no...we can't. Any suggestions? Colby didn't seem to mind the looks, because any attention is good attention. I, however, cannot say the same for myself!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Welcome to the next stage of parenting, TODDLERHOOD! Now don't you feel guilty for giving all those other parents of screaming children those dirty looks in years past? I know I do!!